Early Access to Beta Provided by EA/ Firemonkeys (Presented by EA GameChangers) may differ from actual version
A brand new event has being added to The Sims Freeplay in the August 2020 update, Influence Island! Influence Island is a time limited event where you visit a remote island and enter a survivor inspired gameshow! The aim is to influence the sims on the island to join your clan. Like SimChase this event has seasons so we should expect a lot more of these events in the future, this post explains how to complete this event as it will be the same each time but remember the prizes do change each season. Influence Island Events can be started from level 7
How does it work? Once the event begins you can head to the island and chat with the sims on the island by completing Influence Challenges, if you complete all the challenges with that sim they will join your clan. The aim of the event is to convince 7 of the 10 sims on the island to join your clan in the 10 day time limit. The rival sim is doing the same thing but they do convert sims a lot slower and you can still convince them to join your side (they can’t be converted by the rival once they are on your side)
The contestants (sims) on the island start off as Neutral status with your sim but as you complete each challenge you will reach different relationship statuses:
Before they can join your clan you need to complete all the challenges, each challenge has several rounds:
- Neutral to Friend- 6 rounds
- Friend to Ally- 8 rounds
- Ally to Clan Mate- 10 rounds
Once you start a challenge you will see a bar on the left hand side of your screen, this is the Influence Bar.
Your aim is to select actions from the right hand side of the screen to increase your influence towards that sim and reach the safe (green) zone to complete the round but you need to get this just right otherwise you can influence too much and hit the fail (red) zone which means you lose the challenge and all the coins you have earned so far in this challenge.
In most rounds you also have a yellow zone, this means your rival has already tried to influence this sim, the stop and convince option appears when you reach this zone so you can click that and try and convince that sim. If you have influenced them more (1) or the same as the rival (3) you will win but if your rival’s influence was greater you will lose the challenge (2)
If you have played The Sims Mobile Sweet Treat Showdown Events they are very similar but the Influence Island version is a bit easier as you can sort of work out where you will end up.
The actions have different amounts on them such as 1-20 or 20-45 this means an amount will randomly be selected from the range of the option you choose, for example, if you pick the 1-20 option it will increase the bar by between 1-20 so sometimes you can easily see which option would be best and which is most likely to hit the red zone.
A Chocolate Bar can also be used to increase the range by a small amount (between 2-9) you get 3 chocolate bars for each challenge and they will never cause you to hit the red zone so if you are close to green then you can use a bar to reach the goal and complete the round. You can also buy more bars if you need to:
Watch my walkthrough video of the Influence Island Event here
Before you begin you complete a little tutorial that explains how it works:
- Tap on the event button in the active tasks menu (this takes you to the island)
- Tap the menu in the top left corner (the first tab shows your clan progress) Here you can see how many sims you have influenced so far and your status with all the sims on the island
- With an adult sim, greet the Grouch- 8 seconds (the Grouch is the rival for Season 1) The rival influences the sims on the island too but at a much slower rate than you do. You can still convert them to your side if they have been influenced by the rival
- Tap a target contestant (click on one of the sims on the island)
- Start a challenge (when you click on a sim you will see a profile, click start challenge to begin)
- Tap on the action (action varies, click the one it tells you to) Each action gives a random amount of influence within its range so for this first action it will increase the influence between 20-45. The bar on the left hand side shows how much influence has been added, for me it was 34:
- Tap on the action (action varies, click the one it tells you to) the goal is to build a bond with your target so the green zone is where you are aiming for a successful round
- Complete the round (try not to influence too much otherwise you will hit the red zone and fail the challenge losing the network credits you have earned so far in this challenge)
- Tap continue (you have completed your first round, to reach the friend stage you have to complete 6 rounds with this sim, tap continue to move onto the next round)
- Use actions to reach the rival zone (the rival zone is the yellow zone, this means the rival has been influencing this sim already, reach the yellow zone to complete this task)
- Complete with actions or ‘stop and convince’ (at this stage you can either keep going with actions to increase the bar and try and reach the green zone or use the stop and convince option but if the rival’s influence with this sim is higher you will lose)(I picked the 1-20 option to try and reach the green zone)
- Keep influencing to build your clan (you will need to convert 7 sims to clan mates within the 10 day time limit to unlock the grand prize)
You will be able to complete 3 challenges each day, you will then have to wait 8 hours for the next challenge or use SP to start one early
Each round you complete you earn Network Credits which can be used to purchase the prizes in the gift shop.
Neutral to Friend: 6 Rounds
- Round 1: 12
- Round 2: 24
- Round 3: 36
- Round 4: 48
- Round 5: 80
- Round 6: 200
- Total: 400 Network Credits
Friend to Ally: 8 Rounds
- Round 1: 12
- Round 2: 18
- Round 3: 30
- Round 4: 48
- Round 5: 60
- Round 6: 72
- Round 7: 90
- Round 8: 270
- Total 600 Network Credits
Ally to Clan Mate: 10 Rounds
- Round 1: 20
- Round 2: 30
- Round 3: 40
- Round 4: 50
- Round 5: 60
- Round 6: 70
- Round 7: 80
- Round 8: 100
- Round 9: 150
- Round 10: 400
- Total 1,000 Network Credits
If you manage to complete all 3 challenges, converting 1 sim to Clan Mate will earn you 2,000 Network Credits
After each round your Network Credits are stored in a basket until the challenge is complete, if you fail a round you will lose all your network credits earned in that challenge so far unless you spend SP to continue:
If you decide you are happy with the amount of Network Credits you have earned so far in the challenge you can click ‘quit and collect’ to earn the Network Credits currently in your basket but if you do this you will not increase your relationship with that sim:
In the gift shop you will find 10 common prizes and 5 rare prizes, these change every season:
Common Prizes cost 500 each and Rare Prizes cost 720 each. Click to spin to earn one of the prizes at random each time (you won’t get duplicates) you need to claim all the common prizes before you can start claiming the rare prizes:
Once the event is over any Network Credits remaining will be converted into simoleons, you get 10 simoleons for each Network Credit so 5,940 Network Credits earns you S59,400:
The third tab in the menu contains the influence island tips:
Season 1: available August 2020
Season 2: available October 2020
Frequently Asked Questions About Influence Island
Why do all your screenshots say the time limit is 97 days? My screenshots are from the early access version so some things can be different from the actual version, the correct time limit is 10 days.
If you fail a round what happens? You will lose all the network credits you have earned in that challenge so far.
Do you lose all progress if you fail? You only lose the progress towards the next stage so if they are Ally and you are trying to reach Clan Mate but fail they will stay as Ally and you can try again.
If I quit and claim early does it affect my influence on that sim? No it doesn’t decrease your relationship, you will start from the beginning of that stage next time you start a challenge with them, for example, if they are Friends and you quit after 2 rounds of trying to reach Ally they will still be Friends and you will have to start from round 1 again to try and get them to Ally status.
How many sims can be at the island at once? Only one of your sims can be on the island at a time.
How do I get back to the island if I leave? Click on the button on the influence island event tab in the active tasks menu to return to the island:
I’m not bothered about the grand prize, can I just earn the gift shop prizes? Yes, you can always just make all the sims on the island Friend or Ally status and earn enough credit to spin for the prizes.
How many network credits do I need in total for all the prizes? 8,600
If I convert 7 clan mates and earn the grand prize but not claimed all the gift shop prizes yet can I still unlock any prizes I have left? Yes if you are within the 10 day time limit you can still claim your remaining prizes before the event ends.
What does the Survival Kit do? The survival kit costs real money to buy and it contains tools to help you including an extra chocolate bar per challenge, 1,000 bonus NC, the Survival Tip action to be used once per challenge that gives 10 influence and 5 bribes which when your sim is within 15 points of success it will guarantee success (bribes will never cause you to hit the red zone)
Watch my walkthrough video of the Influence Island Event here:
What do I think of Influence Island? Overall I love the idea of this event but only time will tell if it is possible to complete in the time limit. I like the idea that you can still earn prizes with your Network Credits even if you don’t complete the whole event to unlock the grand prize, I think I will be doing this less time consuming option when the grand prize isn’t worth it.
Presented by EA GameChangers